Ron's Material Leadership Blog

It is my sincerest hope that the stories I share are helpful to others. I have experienced first hand that many people toil in obscurity, searching for answers, ashamed to reach out and ask for help. This blog will contain experiences and wisdom that I have gained over the years that I hope will offer guidance in dealing with some of life's challenges.

Why the name material leadership? If you are curious the answer is on my website. www.materialleadership.com
The link on the side bar.

Lead well

Ron

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Leaders Purpose: 2 Down 3 or more To Go

So here we are two interviews down and at least three more to go. I am working out the details with these three "high capacity" ;-) people. I hope to post an interview within the next two weeks. I realize this is taking longer than I had originally foreseen to get these perspectives published. I sincerely hope they have been worth waiting for. I have learned a lot and hope you have too.

I believe there is value in this effort and plan to continue. Last weekend I was asked by one of our upcoming interviewees what I have learned so far. I reflected on the question and then shared that while I have learned many things, I am trying to hold off until the end to synthesize the results. I know the perspectives that will be gained will be wise and useful. I suspect there will be a few threads of commonality that when pulled upon will reveal a rich truth about the search for purpose. We mustn't try to pull on them prematurely, the web of connectivity may yet be too weak to reveal the truth lying just beneath the surface.

So we soldier on.

This by the way, diligence in leading, is a prerequisite of effectiveness. I could tell you stories of long hours, stressful days, emotional strain. I cold talk about the struggle for balance, searching for clarity, seeking schedule synchronization, but I won't. This blog is a challenge. It is a challenge to be transparent, to write with clarity to seek knowledge. It challenges me in so many ways. The benefit I receive back is in the knowledge that in some small way I have helped you, an anonymous reader. So I soldier on toward my goal; clarity in understanding a leaders purpose.

lead well

Ron

No comments:

My Favorites

Thoughts on a Recent Read

The Dip by Seth Godin

This was the first of Mr. Godin’s books I have read and I must say it will not be the last. I enjoyed this book and found its message wise and on point for our age. The premise of the book is that there is a time to quit a role, project, effort and a time to stay. When we have the opportunity to be the very best and are willing to pay the price, it is time to stay. When it is clear that staying will result in mediocrity or worse yet (Mr. Godin’s term for a dead end) a cul-de-sac, it is time to move on to something where we can be our best. The dip is the place in between. The place where we face opposition, adversity and discouragement. It is here that many wrongly chose to give up when greatness is not that far away for the brave souls who persevere.

Complexity: Low

Length: Short

Compelling: Very much

Worthwhile: Definitely