Ron's Material Leadership Blog

It is my sincerest hope that the stories I share are helpful to others. I have experienced first hand that many people toil in obscurity, searching for answers, ashamed to reach out and ask for help. This blog will contain experiences and wisdom that I have gained over the years that I hope will offer guidance in dealing with some of life's challenges.

Why the name material leadership? If you are curious the answer is on my website. www.materialleadership.com
The link on the side bar.

Lead well

Ron

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Two New Leadership Books

This past week I finished two books. Engaged Leadership by Clint Swindall and Holy Discontent by Bill Hybels
Engaged Leadership
I met Clint three years ago when he gave a motivational teaching at my companies off site management retreat. Clint is a fabulous speaker very engaging, infectious humor, a down to earth approachable guy who has got it together. He has an ability to convey wisdom that few I have seen can. I was really looking forward to reading his book. Engaged leadership is a wonderful read. Clint took a dual approach providing a leadership fable at the start and a more logical step wise model at the end. In both cases he was able to convey a powerful yet elegantly simple model of leadership. Based on the Q12 model of the Gallop organization Clint conveyed a number of excellent elements how managers can create a team that will outperform their disengaged uninspired counterparts. I found this to be an excellent hands on compliment to the Gallop model. I wonder when the field guide will come out.

Complexity: Low

Length: Medium

Compelling: Very much

Worthwhile: Definitely

Holy Discontent

If you look at the bottom of my Blog you will find a link to the Willow Creek Church leadership development conference. For the past three years this conference has become my most important leadership development activities of the year. If you read "Are you a leader" you will know that Pastor Hybels was a significant inspiration for the content of that post. I earnestly hope to some day meet this world changing giant of a Christian leader. When I heard Holy Discontent was published I was excited. I knew when I heard him give that lecture in 05 "What Comes Before Vision" that he was connected to the deepest angst of leaders everywhere. This book did not disappoint. Since I have read most of his books and was able to hear the original lecture, there was little new in this book for me. But then "it's not about me" to quote another world famous pastor, Rick Warren. Anyone who has not yet found "it", their calling, their passion to lead, their righteous indignation, their "I can't takes no more" attitude needs to read this book. It comes with my highest rating for leadership development.

Complexity: Low

Length: Medium

Compelling: Very much

Worthwhile: Definitely, especially if you are still searching for your rightful place

1 comment:

Dan King said...

Excellent book reviews! I will definitely add them to my reading list!

My Favorites

Thoughts on a Recent Read

The Dip by Seth Godin

This was the first of Mr. Godin’s books I have read and I must say it will not be the last. I enjoyed this book and found its message wise and on point for our age. The premise of the book is that there is a time to quit a role, project, effort and a time to stay. When we have the opportunity to be the very best and are willing to pay the price, it is time to stay. When it is clear that staying will result in mediocrity or worse yet (Mr. Godin’s term for a dead end) a cul-de-sac, it is time to move on to something where we can be our best. The dip is the place in between. The place where we face opposition, adversity and discouragement. It is here that many wrongly chose to give up when greatness is not that far away for the brave souls who persevere.

Complexity: Low

Length: Short

Compelling: Very much

Worthwhile: Definitely